Monday, July 12, 2010

The Lebroncalypse Is Over

I meant to write this a few days ago, but I went on a weekend vacation.

So the LeBronocalpyse happened. It was strange. It was exciting. It was something I'm not sure we'll EVER see again. The hysteria, the suspense, the drama, the hype, it was non-stop. The 3-hour SportsCenter was all LeBron LeBron LeBron.

It was a mess.

First of all, I don't hate LeBron. I think he's a little too proud of himself for doing nothing, but that's our fault. If I was on Sports Illustrated when I was 17, I would refer to myself as a King too.

In the end (or maybe it was all along) LeBron "will be taking his talents" to Miami and join Wade and Bosh. Cleveland is up in arms. Their hometown (and only) hero left them. However, I don't think they should be mad at LeBron. He gave 7 great years, and couldn't close mainly because he wasn't given the pieces needed to win. He can't do it himself.

So he left. Cleveland should be proud that someone from that city can be successful, instead of showing the lack of class to burn his jersey in the streets and threaten him with death threats. I know he meant the world to that city, but they should be more appreciative towards what he did and be happy that he's going to try to win.

I think the three guys had it in their minds that they would try to play together if they could. The haters all say that LeBron can't live up to the legends because he's not doing it on his own; he's joining forces with Wade & Bosh. People say - Bird and Magic would never play together. What people forget is that players used to HATE each other. Jordan loved beating his players to an absolute pulp. In today's league, everybody is buddy-buddy, and hang out enough at games/events etc that they are actually friends. The three hung out at Team USA Redeem Team and enjoyed playing with each other. They weren't really winning in their respective franchises (winning, but not championships besides Wade). Why keep the cycle of misery going? If it's fiscally possible, why not?

The other thing is Jordan DID do it with help - Scottie Pippen wasn't appreciated enough, but he was an excellent player. Rodman was Rodman. Garnett couldn't do it until he teamed up with Pierce and Allen. Nobody is hating on Garnett. Kobe - as great as a player as he is, really needed Gasol and Fish to make it work. No one player wins it by them self.

BUT the way LeBron handled everything was incomprehensible. Why did we have to have a one-hour special? I know I wrote earlier it's "because I can" but I can't believe ESPN green-lit that idea. Remember, ESPN made no money off that - all the advertising dollars went to the Boys & Girls Club. It was all so staged - and LeBron was so poorly prepared - that the entire event was comical. I was laughing the entire time.

LeBron's a 25 year old kid. He's empowered his friends around him to help make decisions that they aren't really in the best position to make when it comes to business decisions like how to handle making the biggest decision in the NBA in the past 25 years.

Whatever, it's all done now. It's going to be a fun few years for Miami, and I think it'll be good for the league to have this superpower - and to see if it works out. Somehow, I think it will. I'm not sold that they will win multiple championships, but I would bet at least one - pending the parts around them. Kevin Durant is still going to be better than all three of these players. You heard it here first.

Go Sixers......

No comments:

Post a Comment