Friday, November 26, 2010

My Favorite Non-Traditional Christmas Music

Okay, so now that Thanksgiving is over it's the official start of Christmas music. Some radio stations (like B101 in Philly) start it after Halloween. I think that's absurd. Cut us some slack. These songs are fun, but only for so long. I used to HATE the idea of Holiday albums, because I thought it was just your favorite artist trying to milk you for more money during the holidays. Most of the time the songs aren't original, just the typical run of the mill Christmas song.

Anyway, these are my favorite Christmas songs that are "outside the norm" - except for a few "norms" that I love. I don't know why I'm writing this post. Enjoy?

1) Merry Christmas Happy Holiday - NSYNC

Well, this might be the norm these days. But who doesn't LOVE this song? The whole holiday album is awesome, but this song is clearly the best. Is it possible that this album will be their longest lasting? Since they don't seem keen on the comeback that BSB (which isn't really a comeback) and NKOTB are doing, this might be their biggest contribution. Every now and then I get my boy band fix, but to me this is the most frequent NSync song. My biggest problem is that the radios seem to cut out the bridge part (the part where the background chorus is clapping). How can you bastardize a song like that? Radio pisses me off enough just for cutting out Lil' Wayne's part in every song he's featured in. Okay, well that sidetracked.

2) I Won't Be Home For Christmas - Blink-182
This song is so ridiculous, but if your a Blink fan (or nut like I am) how could you hate it? Also add in Blink's "Happy Holiday's You Bastard" which is even more stupid, but it mentions Christmas, so it counts. They're idiots hahah.

3) Great White Sled & Don't Shoot Me Santa - Killers

4) The theme from Merry Christmas Charlie Brown
I don't know why this song isn't more popular. It's a classic. It's no words and just such a soothing sound, it's like a Christmas Eve Hot Chocolate song. I don't really know what that means. I'm losing my mind.

5) I want an Alien for Christmas - Fountains of Wayne

I really lost my mind.

6) All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey

Any guy who says they hate this song is a liar. I used to get depressed listening to this song, now I'm just happy. It's just a festive (almost wrote Festivus) little tune that would probably sound a lot better if I was one of those "in love" people. But I'm alright where I am. And I know that's not the album cover, I just wanted an attractive looking picture of her. Sorry. At least it's Santa related?

7) The Transiberian Orchestra - The Holiday Album

I honestly have been a bad person and know NOTHING about this band except their holiday music. Do they do normal music? I know I sound like an idiot - whatever. Obviously "Carol Of The Bells" is their best, but the songs are great. Do they even have an album? I don't know. I sound like an idiot. Next please (Josh)

8) Ho Ho Ho And A Bottle of Rhum
There's debate over weather it's Rum or Rhum. iTunes says Rhum. So it's not a typo. This song really isn't really related to Christmas at all, but I love Jimmy, so it was a slam dunk.

9) Last Christmas - Taylor Swift
Well, that's really just because Taylor Swift is awesome. Did you hear that Colin? Do you still read this Colin? "you know Colin"

10) Santa Claus is Comin' To Town - Bruce Springsteen

You didn't expect me to write a post about music and avoid Bruce, did you? Child Please. This song is classic and I think has replaced the typical "Santa Claus is Comin to Town" version. I don't even know what that is. In doing the YouTube search, the first result is Mariah, and the rest are Bruce. Maybe he wrote it, who knows. Either way, Big Man kills it with the vocals and the horn. Love it.

1 comment:

  1. I love non-traditional Christmas songs. Here's a playlist of some lesser-known Christmas music: Obscure Christmas Songs

    ReplyDelete