Monday, September 12, 2011

The Entourage Finale

Last night was it for Entourage. As far as it being on HBO. I wrote earlier my thoughts on the previous 7 episodes of the season. It's been a bit of a let down, but it's been a let down since season 2. It hasn't lived up to the hype yet we're still captivated and motivated to watch. Mainly because of Drama and Ari.

So what did I think of the finale? It made sense within the scope of it. It ended like I said it would - with everything being figured out. Even so, it all felt like it was being done with zero repercussion. Vince is getting married? Really? And everyone's just like "Okay, yeah, marry the reporter you've known for less than a month. I'm happy for you bro." There's a difference between support from your friends and blind support "because your friends." More on that in a minute.

The whole Sloan/E thing doesn't make sense. Sloan is so angry and anti E. E is breaking down and doing whatever he wants. Yet end of the day he still loves her. She loves him. They both just can't let it work, but can't make it work with anyone else.

I've always felt more of a connection with E than the other guys. It's become kind of standard for guys to compare their friends to the guys in the Entourage. Nobody ever wants to be Turtle. It's somewhat of a accomplishment to be Drama. It actually takes a lot of work to Vince. Anyways, I've always been compared to E amongst my friends. I don't hate it. I watched it last night and felt like - again - that I was more like Eric than ever. I don't have a Sloan, I don't have a movie star best friend, I didn't get any girls pregnant, and I didn't hook up with anyone's mother. But, just the qualities, the way he acts and carries himself (besides sleeping with Melinda, even though I find her attractive, but Sloan looks better) I feel such a connection with him. And I feel like I have friends who fit the other roles of the Entourage. Maybe I'm dreaming too much. Or trying to make my life seem cooler than it is. But I can't really help it.

The most disappointing aspect of last night? There really wasn't a sense of closure. And that's because they set it up to make a movie. To see what actually happens to the boys. It's fine, I'll see it, whatever, but I don't want that to be a "part" of it. The finale just felt like all a set up. Which is what the whole season has been. And what will the movie be? More of the same. More of the ridiculousness.

I had a relatively good weekend. It was most certainly a "bro" weekend. My good friend from school came in. My other close friend had his friend from home in. The 5 of us walked around and did whatever we wanted. It was kind of Entourage-esque, without the girls/money/cars/clothes. So far from it. But it's the base of what's behind Entourage - the friendship between a group of guys. How they all treat each other as next of kin, putting them above anything else. Like the way Drama and Turtle talked to Sloan and said "It's our baby" as if it's for all of them. That's kind of how my life feels like. Again, maybe I'm dreaming or forcing it. But whatever, it's okay to dream right?

emotion alert. I think about my life, and I think about how my friends - mostly male. I've got 5 or so super close/best friends. I love them, I talk to all of them almost everyday, they're part of the fuel that keeps me going. I think about the future of my friendships, and I hope that we always stay in close touch. I know it can't be like this forever - things happen and interrupt it. But, I've enjoyed the time so far and never want to let that go. But at some point, it does, right? Not like that truly "scares" me, but it's sad to think about. Yes I'm sure (at least I'm semi-confident) that I'll get married/have kids & do that whole thing, but where do my friends fit into that puzzle? Are we going to live near each other? Or are we going to be across the country? Know what I mean? Family changes all of your priorities. Yeah it's crazy and yeah maybe I'm being too melodramatic, but this is what goes on in my head. (To the girls reading this, have I won you over yet? Are you single? Email me! I'm not kidding. Well, I'm laughing, but I'm not kidding.)

On a quick "I don't understand the storyline" comment - Vince booked a plane for E to go wherever he wanted with Sloan. You're going to tell me he didn't go to Paris for Vince's wedding and be a best man? Isn't that kind of crazy? It breaks all the rules of the bromance. Maybe we'll find out once the movie comes out. To me, the idea of getting married is serious. Yet they just kind of throw it around and are just like "okay" with it. Whatever.

With regards to Ari, going to Europe doesn't make total sense, but whatever. Let him do whatever he wants. Although he's come back to take that job or whatever. More in the movie I guess..

I know I'm being super cynical about the show. Even though it's been disappointing, that's only because we want/expect great things from it. The story still captures your attention. It's cool. It's still the lifestyle every guy wants to live. So with that in mind it's great. The movie(s) that come will be great. I'll see them more than once. It's been a great ride.

Anyone trying to hug it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment