Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The TV 'Hook'

I've been posting my TV thoughts over the past couple weeks and talking with my friends about shows etc and I keep talking about the "hook" and nobody seems to understand what I'm talking about. I think I know a bit more on shows than my friends - maybe I have too much time on my hands or I'm a loser, either/or I'm okay with. I am who I am.

When I talk about the "hook" it's really simple - it's something to get you really invested into the whole show. When you watch a new show you're really "eh" on it until something happens that really makes you want to come back next week. The problem is we typically don't have the patience for it to develop - or the patience to watch. As critically acclaimed as The Wire is, they were on the verge of being canceled almost every season because it didn't see any success at the time with the limited viewership. Arrested Development was recognized as the best comedy on TV, but couldn't stay alive because of ratings. That new show - Lone Star - was heralded as one of the best new shows of the fall, but it couldn't make it past two episodes.

My point is - the best shows don't always make it because they don't have a hook - they can't keep people's attention. I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be some cliff-hanger or truly "shocking" event, just something that says "I really want to keep watching." And when it's a new show fighting to survive it needs it in the pilot or it's going to need a network with enough faith in it to see a few more episodes.

Easy examples of "the hook":
Dexter: Dexter was able to do it in the first episode - establish Dexter the character and the antagonist of the Ice Truck Killer in the opening 60 minutes. The end of the episode where Dexter says "Yes, I want to play." actually got me really excited to watch more.

Lost: This one is too easy. Watch "The Pilot" and there's so much you want to know - what happened? Where are they? What is that noise? What's everyone's background? And can I marry Evangeline Lilly?

24: Mmmm, how about every episode? When I was younger and first started watching it every week and was innocent and thought that Jack might actually could die, I thought to myself "Ohmygod what's going to happen?"

Sometimes though, the hook doesn't really come in the pilot, and it takes the whole first season to really get into it. Surprisingly, these shows turn out being some of my favorites.

The Wire: I'll be completely honest, when I first started watching it I didn't like it. Too slow, too boring, not enough actually happening it was all talk. I think a few things - I was spoiled by Lost and 24 where every episode you'd go "what the hell" and think about it all week until the next episode. The Wire kept building and building and building. It's real 'wow' (read: I was hooked) moment came when Kima got shot and they ended the episode with Foxtrot and police everywhere. It was gripping and real, and I was addicted ever since.

Mad Men - I'm in the middle of re-watching the whole series - the first time since I've first watched it and didn't know what was going on. The hook here didn't really come till around the 5th episode, "5G", when we find out that Don's not really Don. The entire show then becomes, who the hell is Don? It takes some turns and doesn't just stick to Don, but let's not kid ourselves - Don Draper is the focal point here. His past, his present, his free-fall, and the unknown of where he'll end up, all encompassed in the 1960s.

Boardwalk Empire - I really should watch this again before I can fairly say when it is, but I'm going to commit anyway. The pilot was great, but I didn't think the show was great until about halfway through, when the FBI came and arrested some of Nucky's Irish 'brothers' for illegal possession of alcohol. It was the first real confrontation - and outside of the pilot it's felt like the only action in the whole season. There was a lot of talking and everyone literally looked the same - too much abstract talk to follow everything.

Sometimes though, shows need a game-changing moment to recapture people's attention after waning interest - a few years on air. The moment leaving you staring at your TV with your jaw open and the only thing you can say is either "what just happened" or "holy shit." (Queue Fred Ward's "Pardon My French". What a classic line.)

The perfect example of this is:

Lost. In season 3 when everyone's going "they're just spining their wheels, they don't know what they're doing, they ran out of stuff" they drop the "WE HAVE TO GO BACK" bomb that literally shocked everyone. That was when I went nuts for the show. Even I was losing interest in season 3, as they had such bogus episodes that felt like wastes of time. Of course, the Season 4 island-disappearing act was just as game-changing. That's part of what made Lost Lost. It's why there were endless discussions on sites like Lostpedia and other outlets to discuss and try to theorize what in the world was going on.

Other "game changing" examples:

24 - Two things, all happened in the same episode of season 6. Come season 6, we sort of know a few things, mainly that Jack won't die and that he'll always protect the country. But then they actually detonate a nuclear device. The post-bomb chaos was uncharted territory that showed more than we ever wanted to see. It wasn't the worst terrorist attack ever, but it was devastating. Then, Jack shoots Curtis. I never thought he was actually going to do it. But that is why Jack Bauer is Jack Bauer. Didn't hesitate, didn't miss. It upset him - the most upset we've seen him since Teri was murdered - and that was part of what made it so important and qualifies as game changing

Entourage - I know it seems random that I included this in here, but I really believed that the end of season six - Ari's Terinator scene, E dropping the "will you marry me" bomb, really got the "feel-good nature" of the show back and gave me renewed interest.

You see other shows pulling some kind of a stunt at the end of the season to make the next season seem interesting - Nip/Tuck moving from Miami to LA, Weeds moving from the rich white suburbs to Mexico, the ever-evolving name of where Don Draper works, Jack Bauer moving from LA after 6 years to DC then New York, when Heroes introduced Villains. It's all kind of a cheap way to renew interest.

Anyways, I'm starting to ramble, but I've gotten my point across. I'm not sure why I really felt the urge to post this, and realize I probably watch way more TV than most of my friends.

Do you guys still want to be my friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment