Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mid-20s Crisis

Okay, so I turned 23 last week. I had an awesome time with my friends to celebrate. Things in my life are (finally) coming together. Got a job, working on moving into the city, etc. So I've been feeling great lately.

Then a few nights ago before I went to bed I read this article on one of my favorite NBA players - Kevin Love. The kid is a beast. I didn't know much about him personally, until I read this Sporting News article, and found out he's younger than me. I was born January 7, 1988, he is September 7, 1988.

So that started me thinking (read: lost sleep) over the idea that this kid is younger than me, making millions, and is an all star celebrity. Then I kept thinking how many more athletes/celebrities there are that are younger than me. Taylor Swift. Miley. The little Jonas. Derrick Rose. John Wall. Claude Giroux. Kevin Durant. Even Vinny from Jersey Shore. The new hot girl in Californication. Greg Oden is actually 15 days younger than me. (Although I'm not sure I can be in the same category as Oden, if you catch my drift. If not, you're better off.)

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof. (Mike, I blame you for me saying woof all the time. And Tazz.)

Now look, I didn't lose grip with reality, I knew this day was coming. I used to watch college games in high school with my buddies and say "you know, they aren't much older than we are." I also know that I am still in the significant majority of people who are 23 and are not famous/extremely successful yet. So my world isn't knocked off my axis, but isn't it insane to think about that? Someone my age is playing basketball against these Kobe/Lebron/Garnett etc, while I am on the 9-6 grind 5 days a week. Sure, I'm "competing" against some big wigs in PR, but not directly, and a lot less people care. Kevin Love is playing basketball, making millions,

It's a little depressing; people younger than me seeing success. At the same time, I can't sit here and claim my life sucks. It could be MUCH worse. I've had so much fun (pretty much) everyday of my life, I wouldn't of switched it to be hard at work in the gym/studio/set when I was 10 and sacrifice my youth. So I can't complain that I'm not famous, it was fine.

However, I will say it's getting weird. I talk with my high school buddies about the funny/stupid things we did eight years ago. Eight years ago?? Damn. Time flies. It's stereotypical to say it feels like it happened yesterday, but it feels more recent than eight years. At the same time, so much has happened since then. I'm not the same kid at all - none of us are. That's how time works.

So I write this post and titled it "Mid-20s Crisis" because it sort of is - it is the moment that you realize there there are people younger than you who are seeing more success/fame/fortune than you may ever see. It's a little shocking when you first think about it, but it helps to remember that I'm not alone - there are tons of people in my exact position. Unfortunately too, there are people age is a less fortunate position, so I have to be happy for what I have. You too. Be happy for what you have. I'm very lucky to be able to do what I want and have the support to do so. There's kids who can't. Nothing wrong with being normal.

I'll close with one of my favorite/inspirational quotes from high school, because it's what we all should do: go forth and set the world on fire. (Colin, if you don't know who said this, you owe me $100)

No comments:

Post a Comment