Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Avatar Review

James Cameron is the biggest name in making blockbuster movies. The only other two names that even compete: George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. I don't need to waste time talking about the history.

Avatar has been 13 years in the making. I remember hearing about it as a kid. When I first saw a trailer, I really didn't want to see it. It all seemed to be TOO much. I thought it would end up like a Jason Bay film - they always turn into massive CGI fests. I knew I would end up seeing it however - it's too big to miss and I have too much free time at home over break.

I saw it the previous day with a few of my buddies in "Real 3D." I couldn't tell you the difference between "Real 3D" and IMAX 3D and all this other variations in watching film. I didn't really see any 3D, and the glasses honestly hurt my eyes. I'm not sure I buy into the whole 3D gimmick, but it seems to be sweeping Hollywood by storm.

Anyways, the movie could only be described with one word: epic. While not as long as Titanic, it certainly was not short. The length is the only thing that bothered me about the movie. The technology to create this new world was unbelieveable and honestly breathtaking. Cameron created a beautiful universe that sci-fi geeks will definitely lose themselves in (especially if they make sequels - which are rumored.)

The story is just an adaptation of the time old classic Western movie, set in 2154. There wasn't much surprise as far as how the story played out. That doesn't mean it wasn't cool to witness. There was definitely alot of metaphors towards the current American wars and our policy towards getting oil, but it didn't spoil the movie. It can't be compared to any other movie, because its on a entirely different level of blockbuster that is just starting. I wouldn't say it was the best movie I've seen all year (still goes to Up In The Air,) but it was definitely an enjoyable film, if only shorter. I couldn't see any parts to cut out though, because all of the scenes were needed to complete the story. The "final battle" scenes were as huge as those seen on the third Lord of the Rings, just set in the future.

Overall, it exceeded my expectations and was absolutely amazing to watch, but not as good as Aquaman (Entourage joke, for those not in the know)

No comments:

Post a Comment