Friday, December 25, 2009

Why is Christmas shoved down our throats?

Okay, so I know I launched my blog today and had two other posts pre-loaded up here, but I've just gone through another Christmas holiday and always wonder why there is such a lead up to the day. No other holiday has an "eve" besides New Years (imagine having a Valentine's Day Eve and a Martin Luther King Day Eve, what's the point of eves?)

First of all, not everyone celebrates Christmas. You don't see many other religious holidays acknowledged half as much at all.

But then think about how much Christmas is implied EVERYWHERE. Radio stations in Philly start playing only Christmas music immediately after Halloween. Retail stores start their "holiday line" in October too. There's no rule against it, but I just think it's just a bit much. It's everywhere. There really isn't any going back, I just think people should realize how swept up our country is. It's just a day. For most people, it doesn't do anything more than any other day. 2 month lead up for one day. You don't see that for any other holiday.

Of course companies use the socially-correct "Happy Holiday" saying instead of specifying one holiday. Yet after exams when I was doing some shopping for my parents, I tried to take notice as far as what was said, Happy Holiday vs. Merry Christmas, and literally got all Merry Christmas. How do these people know I celebrate Christmas? Maybe I just have that gentile look, but it seems like everyone just assumes you celebrate Christmas, weather you do or not. If I didn't celebrate Christmas, I would probably be offended. Larry David could probably have a field day with this concept.

Ultimately, the point of "the holiday season" shouldn't be about gifts or any of that stuff, it should be about family. But at least today at my family "gathering," it was more about "I didn't get what I wanted" from 50 year old women. We've become too accustomed to Christmas just equaling gifts. I can't say I'm not guilty of thinking the same, how can anyone not be? We've been assimilated. There's not much we can really do, I just thought it was something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment