Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl = Football or Party. I can't tell.

I think the Super Bowl has become too big. MOST people don't watch it for the game - they watch it for the commercials. The only reason I like commercials is because it gives me time to go to the bathroom or accomplish quick tasks during my life.

I'm sure MOST people aren't even watching the game. It's really just a reason to party. I personally was planning on watching the game, but it definitely took a backseat to hanging out with my friends, the food, and alcoholic beverages.

My biggest problem with the Super Bowl is how the game isn't the biggest event going on Super Bowl week. There's so many parties and events building up to the game, but the game isn't even really the focus. It's, again, just another reason to party. The game feels to be more out of necessity than want. Which is really too bad, because this was one of the better games in recent memory.

I wasn't really feeling the ads from last night. I saw most of them live and then watched most of them again this morning, and it really didn't connect with me. I think that's another problem with the Super Bowl; because EVERYONE watches it, it's hard to market it to everyone. We've become so narrow in our advertisements that an event like the Super Bowl goes against popular thought. Very few events get the attention that the Super Bowl does, so it makes it hard to create an ad that all 100 million will enjoy. And then to have the ads be dissected for the next week, it's not the norm at all.

I really enjoyed the Super Bowl last night - the game was great and I was with great company. That's what it is supposed to be about. Unfortunately though, the event is bigger than the game.

P.S. So happy the Saints won, what a great situation for Drew Brees, Reggie Bush, and the entire city of New Orleans. This win made the city relevant again.

No comments:

Post a Comment