Monday, February 1, 2010

More Than Just A Game


It's really nice when the top two teams in the NFL actually make it to the Super Bowl. This year we have that luxury, and they both happen to be REALLY good.

What's really great is that the Saints are here. I don't want to talk too much about the Katrina devastation, but the Saints provided that incredible positive energy that the city needed in 2006. When they first came back to the Superdome in 2006 while U2 and Green Day were playing a cover of "The Saints are Coming", it was one of the best moments in sports that I can remember - on the same level as the 2001 World Series. The city and team bonded as one to overcome and make a statement regarding their city.



When people are struck by tragedy and shock, they need something familiar and welcoming to keep their spirits high. Unfortunately it feels like that happens all too often. Sports fits that mold to give a sense of calm in a time of crisis in a communal fashion. Everyone is in it together. It's a reminder of all that is good, fun, and innocent. It's times like these when I really love sports. Watching those videos I linked gives me goosebumps and makes me feel great. (And then there's the George W. Bush First Pitch - another figure giving Americans a feeling of normalcy after tragedy)


Sure, there's A LOT of problems wrong with sports. Players are paid WAY too much. Most players are selfish pre-madonnas. It's corrupt. The Oakland Raiders. I can keep going. That's not my point however. My point is that there's so many moments where sports go beyond a game and really can change someone's mood.

Think about how Michael Phelps captured EVERYONE'S ATTENTION in Summer 2008. It went just beyond the Olympic Games - Phelps had become a national hero (until he had too much fun at a college party - even that hasn't stopped him really) and if swimming was more popular/frequent, he would be on the same level as Tiger Woods (pre-November 2009.)



My personal story was the 2003 ALCS between the Red Sox and the Yankees. It was October 2003, and my dog had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and we would have to put him down very soon. I remember sitting on my sofa with him on his last night - Game 3. Honestly it was one of the saddest nights ever. The only thing that kept me sane was the Red Sox continuing to play. It didn't end well (I hate Aaron Boone) but I really believe it helped me in the grieving process.

Other Moments that Go Beyond the Game:
Brett Favre after his father passed away
Tiger Woods' first Major victory after his father passed away
Mario Lemieux' comeback from cancer
Lance Armstrong. Everything about him. Except Sharyl Crow.
1980 Miracle On Ice
The 2004 Red Sox - Everything that they meant to New England - really well captured in this commercial.
The 1998 Home Run Chase. Even if it they were juicing. The country was swept away.

I could keep going, but that's just a few. My point is to some people, sports really is a safe-haven, and sometimes it really does provide all the security and entertainment we need. It brings people together to share and enjoy moments - together. It's a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment