Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Super Bowl Ads - The Good, The Bad, The Brutal

I should mention, this post is sort of a cop-out. I had to write a paper on the ads, but thought it would make a good post too. I edited it pretty heavily though to make it more fun - because I love you.

Tim Tebow – Celebrate Life

This was clearly the most hyped ad of the night.

The ad ended up being nothing. I didn’t know what it was about until I saw Tim, which was with very little time left. Even his presence didn’t help me understand the focus of the ad – except that I already knew the background of the story. I think they tried hard to make some humor out of it by having Tim tackle his mom, but that ad had it’s steam taken away by that Snickers ad that came before it, which featured Betty White being tackled repeatedly. It really stole Tebows thunder.

The ad was talked about almost a month prior to the event. The publicity alone should have made the ad worth the $2+ million that was spent. It will be interesting to see the statistics regarding how many visitors went to the website because of the ad. Overall though, it was a let down in regards to the controversy surrounding the ad, but should not have been pulled by CBS, contrary to other activists groups. At the same time, I’m not exactly sure it conveyed the message that Focus on the Family was trying to achieve in those 30 seconds.

Google – Parisian Love

Wow. Google hit a home run – and as far as I was concerned, the only definite home run of the night. I know a lot of people agree with me on this as well. The ad is able to convey a romantic boy-girl story that at the same time demonstrates the growing and massive power of Google. The best part was that they kept the focus on the Google web site the entire time to truly show Google’s capabilities. It was simple, primitive, and didn’t require any corny or sexual humor to deliver it’s message. I was really blown away by this ad and believe that Google is a huge threat to take over a lot of technological-based industries in the years to come. This is the first in many upcoming ads from Google.

Bud Light – Paradise

I personally thought this ad was funny. It took the concept a very popular show in Lost – without directly referencing the show, and provided a sense of humor that made me laugh. I personally am a LostLost friends were EXTREMELY offended and seriously thought ABC should file a lawsuit against Budweiser. I wasn't that pissed to be honest. fan and was able to enjoy the joke, but some of my

Vizio – Beyonce/Forge

This ad was futuristic, chaotic, and crazy. However it captured the capabilities of what the Vizio televisions claim to be capable of. Based off what I saw – the television looks quite capable and the ad made it look cool. Televisions are starting to evolve with the Internet, but in order to not be replaced by laptops and tablets, they need to make a statement and keep themselves relevant and in the spotlight. I think this ad accomplished that goal, however they may struggle in a few decades from now unless there are drastic changes.

Late Show – Leno, Oprah, and Letterman

I can’t figure this ad out. After all the nonsense that NBC has gone through to get Leno back onto The Tonight Show, why allow him to air with his previous and future direct competitor in Letterman? I understand that the last Super Bowl CBS hosted there was a Letterman and Oprah bit, but I do not see why NBC would allow this. It’s like giving in to your competition – which holds the number one spot in late night television.

Maybe NBC didn’t know about the ad. Maybe it was not a breach in Leno’s contract. Maybe NBC saw it as an opportunity to keep Leno in the spotlight following an incredibly messy situation with Conan O’Brien. I personally don’t agree with how that worked. NBC continues to prove that the executives are incompetent. I really really really don't want to like NBC for anything other than The Office, 30 Rock, and Brian Williams.

NFL – Lift Off

This ad was great, but not perfect. It summarized the intensity and excitement that the NFL has from its fans, and thanked the fans for their continued dedication and never ending passion for the sport. They used one of the leagues better-known (and better image) players in Reggie Bush in a great display of athletic prowess before going into a montage of different fans. The choice of music was excellent as well - who doesn't love that song from Where The Wild Things Are?

Budweiser – Clydesdale Race

The Anheuser-Busch Clydesdales seem to be a staple in NFL advertising, representing a classy, All-American image to separate itself from its party twin, Bud Light. After taking a few year hiatus from the Super Bowl, the Clydesdales were back, and I COULDN'T of been happier. They were able to demonstrate a fun, cute, display of America’s favorite football horse. I really like how the Clydesdale series of ads are simple, and typically don’t relate to the product at all. Budweiser has established the connection between the Clydesdales and their beer. Therefore, they can create fun advertisements that do not need product placement within them.


Doritos - Casket

I thought this ad was just so tacky. Doritos had 4 ads in the first half (because owner Pepsi was spending their brand's $$$ on social media - ACTUALLY SMARTER) and only one of them was funny (the little kid slapping his Momma's date.) But the Casket ad was trying to make a joke out of death and really missed the mark. I'm sure they could of come up with something better. The other Dorito ad with the dog and the dog collar was weird as well.


I find it interesting how the landscape of Super Bowl ads have changed. Now they can be re-viewed over and over again on the Internet. It makes the $2.5 million spent per ad worth so much more than it previously was. It's great for companies and the media. Now if only they could make consistantly better ads.


No comments:

Post a Comment