Saturday, June 26, 2010

5 No Hitters in 3 Months???

Following the "Perfect Game That Wasn't" for Detroit a few weeks ago, I said that we've seen a surprising number of no hitters this season. Last night we had another one, courtesy of Arizona's Edwin Jackson and his 149 pitch effort, making it 5 this season (6 if you were to count the Jim Joyce one.)

How is that possible? No hitters are still extremely rare - to give up no hits in a game. I believe it's the pitcher along with the team he's facing - everything has to work on that specific night. Yet we would go seasons without a no hitter.

I'm not sure if 2010 is just unique of if the moon is in retrograde, but this certainly is a collection of amazing feats. It's too easy to say it's because players are off the juice - but there has to be something going on. This all can't happen by chance, can it? I don't believe it.

It's gotten to a point where they happen too often. It doesn't feel like a big deal because it happens too much. I was home and heard about how Jackson had no hit thru seven innings, and didn't care to watch, even though it had a direct impact on the standings of my favorite team. Didn't really make a difference to me. I saw Ubaldo's, Braden's, Halladay's, and Galaragga's non-perfect game. Why do I need to see another one this year?

That's a terrible attitude, but it's true. It's not rare or special if it seems like it's done all the time. No hitters and perfect games are supposed to be a remarkable event. I remember most of the one's I've seen - specifically Millwood's, Lowe's, Randy Johnson's perfect game (a game I actually watched all of on TV,) I was witness to Buchholz no hitter, and Mark Buehrle's last year. They're great moments. This year feels like a free for all.

Maybe I'm being cynical. I'm sure ESPN will have a segment on it to make sense of it all. I also wouldn't be surprised if we see another no hitter in the final three months of the season. I could just really do without it. Let the special moments be special, let's not make them too common because we need something to get excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment