Sunday, September 5, 2010

I think I'm becoming agnostic to sports

I went to the Phillies game the other night with my dad, which was a great time. However, as I sat there, I found myself really uninterested in if the Phillies would win, and more interested in seeing a great game. The Phils were playing the Brewers, so I was hoping to see Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun play well for the Brewers, just seem some good playing.

I was looking around and watching as all the fans in the crowd were so into the game and so emotional towards every action. Stupid actions though, like thinking a foul ball could of been a home run. Or clapping for the adult who catches the foul ball with a glove. He's got a glove, he SHOULD catch it.

It was a weird feeling for me. I think I would say that baseball is EASILY my favorite sport to follow, with the Sox & Phils being my favorite teams to root for. Growing up, the Phils sucked (losing 100 games a year was not good for my health) and the Sox won me over with a young Pedro and Nomar. I've already documented my Nomar obsession. Baseball used to be the sole purpose of living. I'd watch every possible game and episode of Baseball Tonight and wear my (very beaten up and sweaty) Sox hat everyday for almost 5 years. That thing was gross. It was a point of pride for me to wear my Sox attire as many days as possible. Washing optional.

Since I've now seen those two teams win championships within the past three years (and 2 in the past 6 for the Sox), I almost feel numb towards them. Like they're still there, but it's not as exciting. We accomplished what we wanted to accomplish. It was exciting, heart racing, and at some times absolutely terrifying. I just don't get as excited as I used to. I'm not entirely sure that's the reason why, but it's something.

Another thing has been how I've been more around the "business" side of sports with some of my internships, and I've seen more how that side works. It's a transition from fan to professional. I was fortunate to see several Sox games through my internship, but just never really got into the game because I was "working." I went to a few Bruins/Flyers games and wanted to get into the game but couldn't because I was "working." And it just wasn't the same. I wanted to see the Flyers win, but I wasn't screaming/yelling/fighting/etc to see it happen.

I thought it was just me growing up, but I know that there are adults who act as crazy as I used to. I think it is likely that we are on different intellectual levels and "see" things differently. I'm not trying to make myself sound smarter, I'm just serious.

What I like to see is good games. Pitchers duels. Hitters battles. Milestones. I really want to see Albert Pujols absolutely crush the Home Run record. I hope the best for Strasburg & the Nationals. That would be great for the city and franchise if he can work out. Same with Bryce Harper. Maybe one day the Cubs can not suck for just 182 games. It's not so much about the teams to me anymore. I don't get super upset when the Yankees win. I just can't blindly and give my undying allegiance to a franchise anymore. I want to see things that are good for the overall health of the sport. I'm tired of the steroid nonsense, and I think we're definitely over the hump with regards to that.

But it's not just baseball. I can say the same for football. I really want to see good games rather than just root for the Eagles even when they suck (which I'm fully expecting this year, but Andy Reid likes to prove me wrong).

Or basketball. As much as I don't like the ego of LeBron, he is an amazing player and it should be a blast following the Heat for the next few years should they steer clear of injuries. It'll be great to watch the rest of the league - supposedly we could see the same thing happen for the Knicks with Carmelo/Amare/CP3 if the stars align correctly. Sure, we're not seeing competitive basketball from every team, but I like seeing the players be more in control of the league than the overbearing owners.

I guess I just like seeing the good stories, the things that really make sports special. I feel like I've lost attachment directly towards a specific team and instead embrace the entire sport. It's much more difficult because there is no real "winning" or "losing" for me, because the end of a season just means the end of another chapter of a book. It sounds weird, and I don't like it either.

So I guess this post is just me talking myself through my current state of mind, and your supposed to listen. Thanks?

No comments:

Post a Comment