Monday, September 13, 2010

VMA Hangover

Last night was the VMAs. Eh.

I think last year's was SO overtalked about that everyone was left disappointed. Obviously the Kanye/Taylor Swift storyline stole the show last year, but there were still so many other great parts. The Jay-Z premiere of Empire State of Mind, Taylor Swift's Subway ride to outside Radio City. The Gaga/Elton John thing. I liked the Green Day performance, but I also love Green Day. The MJ tributes. Beyonce.

This year just didn't really feel like the performances were that great. I was watching online through a bad connection, so I missed Usher and the "Florence and the Machines" thing, who I've never heard of before. All I heard was Usher sucked and lip-sung. Weird.

Let's be honest - we remember the VMAs for what happens. And that's it, nothing happened. The performances were eh. Nobody had anything creative. Taylor Swift's was creepy. Eminem was decent, but not really. I wouldn't say Drake was a disappointment, but given how Drake has blown up, you'd expect him to do a bigger performance I still believe people only like B.o.B.'s songs because of the choruses that he doesn't sing (What's the most famous part of Airplanes? Hayley Williams part).

Honestly the only thing that I thought was decent was Bieber. Kid can do it. I don't understand how a 16 year old can write so many songs about being in love, but whatever. The only thing I think about Bieber is that he is Dani, the female runner up to Tila Tequila's Shot at Love. Pictured below.

You know I'm right.

So anyways, my point is, there just wasn't anything worthwhile. It doesn't even have to be controversial. You remember things from previous VMAs because there were AMAZING. For example:
2008 - I really liked the Jonas Brothers one, but Pink killed it, T.I. Live Your Life, and it was Britney's night. Oh and Russel Brand WTF, and Kanye premieres Love Lockdown
2007 - Britney's disaster, Tommy Lee/Kid Rock whatever
2006 - okay I lied I don't remember everything
2005 - Trapped In the Closet? Absolutely. And Since U Been Gone.
2004 - okay I was too upset over the Blink breakup to watch.
2003 - Britney/Madonna/Aguliera. Boom. But Jay and B too.
2002 - The "return" of Guns N Roses - but delayed 8 years.
And somewhere Blink had an awesome show.

I'm just saying, there was nothing here. Absolutely nothing. No inspired performances. That's what I like about Lady Gaga. I don't go crazy for her like everyone else does, but she really cares about everything. That performance last year was real intense. I've heard her concerts are very artful and inspired. Her dresses - even though she looks stupid to me - are very important to her. Winning the VMA for Video of the Year was SO important to her that she started crying. When have you seen that? That's what I respect about her. And not only that - she's using her fame to help shine light on others less fortunate than her. Mad props.

Everyone was SO looking forward to the Kanye/Taylor moment and were let down when nothing really happened. What did you think would happen? It's been a year. It doesn't matter. It almost seems silly that Taylor wrote a song about it, and waited to perform it that night. Stop milking it.

Obviously I love Kanye, I thought the song was great. It doesn't matter how he pulls it off, as long he does. It wasn't about redemption so much as just moving on. The song won't be his best, but it's an admittance of how much of a (insert word here) Yeezy's been for "way too long." Kanye's been forgiven. Let's be honest, these people go to prison and come back bigger than ever. When Weezy's out? It's gonna be a takeover.

I thought Chelsea Handler was funny too. And probably hammered, which is why I love her. It was such a great upgrade over Russell Brand, who had such unmemorable performance TWO years in a row.

We expect too much all the time. It was shorter too - only two hours? Went a little longer, but still I was shocked at how short it was. I guess last year's was 3 because of the MJ tributes, but 2 felt short.

Until next year VMAs, where I'm sure Gaga will win again. I'm sorry I'm rambling this has been like a 2 day process to write this my thoughts are scattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment