Friday, October 8, 2010

Social Network


I swear I have more things on my mind than what I watch on film/tv. That's just the only thing I have that's worth blogging about.

That being said, I saw Social Network last night. I was really looking forward to seeing it - the combination of Aaron Sorkin and David Fincher was TOO good to pass up. Add in the idea of the creation of Facebook and it's a home run. I think I wrote this exact same paragraph before about American Idiot. I'm losing my creativity and my brain.

I knew going in that the movie wasn't totally true. It was Hollywood-ified. There were parts added for the convenience of the story. It's my understanding that most of it is true though, based off what I read.

The movie was good. It was neurotic. It really kind of describes how college (and as we grow out of college, the "real world") is now. You friend a girl you meet and class, probably one you don't really know outside of some glances, and determine if you're interested in her or not by her pictures (while she's showing the pictures that show her in her self-perceived "best light" - while you do the exact same thing) and find out the relationship situation and see who she's friends with etc etc. That's Facebook. Maybe not always about girls, but about people. Most likely people you don't know well.

I don't know if me or my friends could imagine college without it. It's such a strange concept. Seriously. And I'm not even talking about "stalking" girls. Just communicating with friends - especially those who you haven't seen in a while. Seeing what others are up to. Sharing your crazy stories. Writing a happy birthday wall post. And so on. I'd go to parties and people would say "Facebook Me." It's just how we operate.

It's changed the generation. We can't socialize normally. I know more about some people thru Facebook then I learned from hearing them speak. We hide behind our phones and our iPods and blogs and don't actually communicate anymore. It's absurd. I can't say I'm not guilty either, it's just the truth of our generation.

The only thing that really killed the movie for me was Justin Timberlake. He sucks as an actor. It was such a joke putting him in. It was just to make some kind of a "celebrity buzz" since most people wouldn't of known who Jesse Eisenberg is. Stop acting JT. Just make some more music for girls to go crazy over. Don't say "Bong hit!" in the middle of a movie. Ever.

I loved Fincher's vision. It was shot so well. It had a "Fight Club" pacing without going Tyler Durden crazy and no fighting. I also love to reference Fight Club and Tyler Durden whenever possible, so maybe I'm stretching it. Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.

Zuckerberg came across as too smart for his own good - which is probably true. He's brutally honest and unable to communicate the way normal people do. It's interesting. I have never actually seem him talk, but I could believe he's something like this. It's also interesting to see the way the site developed, how the lawsuits came through, among other things. Something so simple that changed everyone's life.

Overall, it was good, I just think there was so much hype. Too much hype kills everything. And too much hype is why Facebook succeeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment