Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Back To The Future - 25 Years Later


Today's a special date for geeks/losers/nerds/unemployed like me - 25 years ago today, Marty McFly time traveled from October 26th, 1985 to November 5th, 1955. I'm talking about Back to the Future - one of my favorite childhood movies. It's one of those movies I never grew out of. If anything - I've grown more into it as I've gotten older.

Maybe it's my circle of friends - mainly from high school - but we reference the movie almost every time we hang out. It's kind of sad, but that's why we're friends. I won't go into details of our jokes, because I don't want you stealing them. Or judging us.

It's started a sci-fi thought-process that's the basis of all time travel for me anyway. It came up a lot with Season 5 of Lost - the changing of the past and how it affects your future - including your existence. I know time travel is not real. Relax. It does keep my mind occupied when I'm bored or trying to be creative/imaginative, although I should probably be thinking about jobs/apartments/girls/sports/something normal. This is what I do instead.

The movie isn't even really about time travel. It's about parent-child relationships. Part II and III are more about the absurdity of time travel and different time periods and the life cycle repeating itself. But the original is a story is actually very complex hidden underneath a time travel comedy exterior.

What I think is great is I'm pretty sure when the team making the movie were in production, they had no clue it would of been this successful. It's purposefully corny. A jiggawatt? Or is it gigawatt? The whole concept of putting it into a DeLorean? Hilarious.
As usual I'm trying to find a witty ending to this. This is like my Bruce Springsteen post. I could say anything I want, and it would make me laugh. I'm losing my mind in this house.

Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Other posts I found interesting regarding Back to the Future:
52 Reasons Why Back to the Future Might Be The Greatest Film of all Time.

Going Back to the Future, 25 Years Later
Going 'Back to the Future' again, 25 years later

No comments:

Post a Comment