Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wrestling

Like I said last post, I still haven't forgotten you. I just have had zero creative things to write. I'm not going to write posts that suck.

Okay, so I think I've half gotten back into wrestling. And by wrestling, I mean the WWF/E Vince McMahon monster that I was obsessed with in like 6th grade. But when I say obsessed, I was obsessed. Not quite Star Wars obsessed, but it was the show I watched. I couldn't wait for Thursday Night Smackdown.

Can you blame me though? Back then, The Rock and Stone Cold were excellent entertainers. It was just enough violence for me to think it was cool. My parents wouldn't let me watch any of the other episodes of it, so I had to settle for that Thursday.

Why'd I fall off? I can't honestly say. I don't remember. My guess? The Rock left. Stone Cold "retired". Episode 1 of Star Wars came out. The Lord of the Rings. I don't really know. It just ended. I'd watch it every now and then and say "good God this is terrible."

What brought me back? Very simple - The Rock. If you watch that clip, and you grew up loving the Rock like I did, then you are guaran-damn-teed to get goosebumps. It's amazing.

Now that I'm somewhere like 12 years older than the 11 year old that watched it and thought it was real, I do have a little more appreciation for the "business" of wrestling. Everything is very calculated and they write the storylines and blah blah. When I was a kid? I thought it was all real. They all hated each other. All the punches were real. The chairs were real etc. They know exactly what they're doing to maintain an audience, keep them interested, build up new superstars, and ultimately grow the brand even further.

Bringing back The Rock got me - and I'm sure many more - half back into it. I'm not going to watch an entire show. I'll read highlights. Watch the YouTube clip, whatever. If I'm channel surfing and see it on, I'll at least check it out. I was also excited for Wrestlemania because the meatball Snooki was wrestling, and thought it'd be great to see her get beat up. Needless to say, she didn't.

The matches are somewhat entertaining sometimes. Trying to decipher the real vs fake is fun. Sometimes the stupidity of the storyline or the way they have to hint at inappropriate content makes me laugh. The corniness of these characters is so stupid it's funny. Seeing Stone Cold give someone the Stunner and pour beer all over them is all I really need to see. The Rock isn't "really" back. He's half back. Which is why I'm half into it. He's out promoting movies and shooting movies, so it's not realistic that he's going to a) be a consistent part of the show or b) fight anytime soon so he doesn't mess up his movie career. Huge insurance pay out on that.

I'm not sure if I'm regressing because I'm watching wrestling. Or is that just because I'm bored with everything else on? The only thing I have looking forward to is Treme, and there isn't a huge amount of entertainment value there. Sure I'm going to enjoy it, but I won't laugh the same way I will like I laugh watching the clowns fake fight each other. Maybe I'm just trying to re-live some of the glory days before I get full-on sucked into being an adult. Who knows. But in the meantime, I am smelling what The Rock is cooking.

1 comment:

  1. http://stashbox.org/1106633/PPV_007_chase_spencer_s.jpg

    ReplyDelete