Sunday, August 8, 2010

MTV Actually Has A Good Reality Show

If you're thinking I'm about to talk about Jersey Shore, child please.

Let's be honest. MTV has turn into a cest-pool for just trashy reality television shows. Nothing about it is meant to bring any cultural significance - but we're all obsessed with these insignificant people and their made-for-TV-lives. I love The Situtation, but why? He doesn't DO anything life-changing. Lauren Conrad is gorgeous, but that's about it.

The reality (pun-intended) is that most people age 12-30 watch MTV on a regular basis. Sometimes more than regular. MTV is my second go-to channel after ESPN. But why? The show's are so terrible. It's actually on while I write this, because I know I don't have to pay attention to get the gist of the show.

A quick rundown of the MTV shows (some past, some present)
True Life
Total Request Live
Made
Real World
Road Rules
The Bastard Child between those two - Gauntlet/Challenge/Special Olympics/Fight Club/Frat Rejects
The Osbournes
Punk'd
Jackass
-Followed by: Bam Margera's an Idiot
Laguna Beach/The Hills/The City (and single-handely creating the monster that is Spencer Pratt)
Super Sweet 16 - "even if I'm not 16"
Room Raiders
Papa Simpson pimping his daughters for a few shows
FAT CAMP
Engaged and Underage
16 and Pregnant
Teen Mom
Next
The X Effect
Beavis and Butthead
Date My Mom
Parental Control
The Britney Spears "My Hair Grew Back and My CD is Coming Out Soon" Special
The DJ AM Addiction Show
Silent Library
Fantasy Factory/Whatever

Okay, so maybe that wasn't so short. That goes to show you how easy it was for me to think of all the shows MTV has come up with. Which one of those is worthwhile television? True Life is the only one worth arguing for somewhat eye-opening lifestyles - steroids, OCD, and Tourettes come to mind - that many people may have no concept of. However, True Life: I spend too much/I'm broke/I'm 40 and live with my parents/I'm considering getting a divorce but as the episode goes on I reconsider and don't get a divorce until next time/I'm an only child/I'm unemployed/I wrestle/I blog - really aren't interesting at all. The other shows aren't going to change your life. It's pop-cultural relevant, and they keep things interesting, but why do we care? See: Spiedi.

I REALLY can't understand why the Engaged & Underage/16 and Pregnant/Teen Mom thing has caught on. It's actually awful television. I remember reading MTV's stance that it was "to educate youth about the consequences of their actions," but they show the program so much that you'd think they were glorifying it. How can anyone say this is helpful? The people on the show are lucky that child services doesn't use the tape as evidence for child abuse. It's all terrible. It's the one series of show that I actually despise (okay I lied; Silent Library is a waste) and would LOVE if it would disappear.

Enter the MTV show I actually like: If You Really Knew Me.

The concept is simple: take down the barriers of high school stereotypes and have conversations that start with "If you really knew me..." The high school jocks talk to the the nerds. They learn that they're totally different than perceived. Think about when you were in high school. You had your group of friends you stuck to, and there were also several groups you avoided, made fun of, fought with, etc. There were good times and bad. High school's about growing up and discovering yourself etc etc until you really find it in college. You're so insecure about it though you are too scared to do anything.

The show is deep. People talk about all their baggage. The ugly stuff that nobody ever brings up. The suicide attempts. The parental problems. The diseases. The self-image problems. It's great because it lets everyone on the show feel like they're not alone. Everyone's got their own problems on different levels. It's not meant to be pleasant to watch. Makes you think about things that we usually don't think about. That's what makes it good TV, particularly for the kids in high school who are going through the same experiences. To know they're not alone. These type of programs should be instituted in schools everywhere. It may seem like a waste of a few days, but it's much more of an experience than a few extra days of chemistry/algebra/gym/history (I promise I won't go on talking about education, I did that too much a few days ago)

You don't need to watch every episode to understand. Really, one is enough. It's still good for the soul to watch these people let go of their bottled-up emotions, break down the wall, and have real conversation. It's inspirational to say the least.

The problem: MTV doesn't promote the show as if it's something to watch. They put it at a bad time slot (after Teen Mom at 11 PM EST) so it's going to be less viewed. They don't advertise for it the same way they do for Jersey Shore or Real World. It's a shame. Nobody knows about it, nobody talks about it, because it's not advertised. It's not something the MTV crowd wants to watch. They should watch it.

A random sidenote: Maybe I used to be real dumb/naive, but I don't remember MTV being so explicit about drinking/alcohol/wasted when I was 13. I remember watching Real World religiously and they would just "go out" they would never be hammered. I saw a random episode of New Orleans and the cute girl says "I black out all the time, my friends black out, my parents black out, I vomit, whatever," as if it was no big deal. On Jersey Shore they can't be seen without a liquor in the room. Not the MTV I remember. Can't say that's the best example for today's youth. But this is the culture we live in.

If You Really Knew Me won't go down as the best show ever. Not even close. It's not meant to. It's just a story to help kids understand that everyone is normal, even if they don't think they are. True Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment