Monday, August 16, 2010

TV Commentary

I didn't really know what to call this post. I've had what we'll nicely call "some" free time over the past few months and caught up on A LOT of shows that I never wanted to watch, but did anyway. I like watching TV shows more than movies cause they're more involved than your movie in shorter bursts - 22-44 minutes a clip as opposed to 90-150 minutes - and there's so many more story lines going on. I thought I'd share my thoughts on what I'm watching, since, well, let's just say I have the time.

1) Mad Men

I tried to watch it last year, it was too slow. I watched it this year, it's slower, but I was determined to see why everyone was SO into it. I'm still not entirely sure. I think people are into the concept - the 60's are a time that was so fundamental to our country's growth, but I'm not sure if there's anything REALLY going on. If the biggest problem of an episode is if Campbell can have a kid or not, I'm really not intrigued.

I know it's more than that - the focal point is Don/Dick. While an interesting character, where is this going to go? How many times can we see him go to CA to be with the real Mrs. Draper and then try to fix things with his wife? I guess, in that time, divorce is a big deal, and we're so used to it now that it isn't - although it should be. I'm surprised Peggy having Pete's kid wasn't a BIGGER deal, although it's always the elephant in the room, especially now that Pete did conceive with his wife.

It's a period piece. One that glorifies drinking and smoking, and male hooliganism. I have no idea what the 60s were actually like, but sometimes it feels like the characters (mainly Peggy and Pete) are forced, as in they aren't acting naturally. I'm not saying they are bad actors, I think that's what they're supposed to do. It just seems weird. It's also weird to see these people outside of their 60s costumes. I'd say it's alright at best, but not GREAT. I'll watch because it took me so long to catch up, but I already know this is a show I won't watch twice.

2) Dexter

Okay, so I started Dexter last year, but I finally caught up this summer. It's gotta be my favorite show on TV now that Entourage is dropping off. Michael C. Hall gives a great performance as this tortured but good-guy portector of the peace and keeps the murderers away from the street.. After a weak season 3, season 4 was excellent and I'm really excited to watch season 5 when it premieres in a month. It even inspired me to (gasp) read the books - which aren't even the basis for the show past season 1. I like that the crew took over the idea, evolved it, and made it their own. Season 2 was kind of over the top, but it was fun. Great show.

3) Jersey Shore

just kidding!!!

4) True Blood

I've been watching True Blood since the beginning, and I've always been skeptical, given the teenage-girl-loves-vampire disease that has struck America the past three years, but I'm still watching. I'm just not sure what I want out of this show anymore. Season 1 was interesting the Vampire/Human love concept, and Season 2 was kind of interesting because of the Anti-Vampire movement, but this season seems to drag. Maybe I'm dragging. It has definitely gotten better in the past few episodes, but the first 6 or so were so strange I was close to calling it off.

5) Ochocinco - Ultimate Catch

There's not much to say, other than I've loved Ocho since last years Hard Knocks, and love watching him do this show. I know it's stupid VH1 nonsense, but it's a nice little "don't have to concentrate too hard for some cheap laughs to enjoy" type program. Child Please.

6) Weeds

I had the first three seasons on DVD, but never saw the others. I saw them this summer. It used to be funny, but now it's just kind of gotten absurd. The whole Mexico line is weird. I don't know how much longer I can do it. Kevin Nealon is the best thing about that show.

Okay, I'm out. I think I'm finally gonna start watching The Sopranos. I've never really had the time, but I think I have it now. I've seen bits and pieces, but never the whole thing. I heard it's good?

2 comments:

  1. To get why everyone (including me) is obsessed with Mad men, watch from season one. Season two will blow your mind. I can see why you'd find it slow if you started at 3. But start from the beginning. Truly is one of the best shows on TV.

    Other than that, I'm glad I'm not the only one who watches Ochocinco's show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I watched Mad Men since season one, and nothing really BLEW my mind. Maybe things need to be more "shocking" to get my attention, but storylines like Sterling datings Don's secretary and Duck/Don's rivalry and Don going to LA and they show the real Don etc, I don't know, it just isn't really captivating to me.

    Yo what are tehy doing with Ocho - they're like showing a few new episodes at a time I'm like three episodes behind.

    ReplyDelete