Sunday, February 13, 2011

John Mayer

I'm very fascinated by the antics of John Mayer. I can't think of a better way to say it. It's not something I think about everyday, or that much at all. I thought about it tonight because I saw Johnny boy at the Grammys (which leads to another topic later on).

It's weird. This guy writes music that makes girls melt, spilling his guts and thoughts out. He's been with so many hot women that a normal male would die to be with any one of them. Then he spills the beans about them, burning bridges, he's very outspoken, selfish, maniacal, insane, and yet his music still speaks to me and the girls still love his music. He's loved and hated at the same time. It's almost like he's bipolar, and we have a bipolar judgment of him, depending on the day of the week and what mood he's in.

The music is so raw and emotional. I love it. I listen to his album Heavier Things now as much as I did in 2003. He's gotten critcal acclaim for his music. The best part is that he hates the music he writes. He's clearly into the blues Continuum-style of music, but the money is in the love songs. And he says that too, it's not a secret.

John lives this bastard lifestyle. The celebrity attention has blown his ego to unreal levels. Part of me sympathizes with him; all of these celebrities can get whatever they want, immediately. They could have as many friends that they want, but these people don't want to be friends with them, they just like who they see, weather it's on tv/through music/etc. That's the person that the common folk wants to see. Yet celebrities live a life outside of the studio. They aren't always living the glamorous lifestyles that we think they do. They do the same things we do. We've boosted the ego of all of these people. That's why Lindsay Lohan thinks she can get away with whatever. We only have ourselves to blame.

Anyways, John is able to write this music that makes girls cry, yet he can't seem to hold a girl ever. He's been through at least 100 girls, and if you'd go just off the music, you say to yourself "why doesn't it work out with him and girls?". But outside the studio he's an asshole. I don't feel bad for him with that. I'm starting to get the same way with Taylor Swift. I love Taylor, think she's absolutely adorable, she writes these great songs, but I'm starting not to feel bad for this "poor girl who gets dumped by boys all the time". Why is she getting dumped? Clearly something wrong is going on - with her.

It's funny I wrote about TSwift and John in the same post - they clearly had a thing too. Which seems to make sense - except for the like 12 year age difference - in that they both seem relationship/love flawed so maybe they'd be able to work it out together. Clearly something went wrong. She's got that song, but who knows what really happened. I wouldn't be surprised at anything. I don't think Taylor's as sweet as she seems when it comes to love and everything. She might have these crazy expectations that every thing is like Romeo and Juliet or something unreal. John seems like an asshole, so it's almost no surprise that never worked out. I also feel like we really don't know anything about these people. As much as we think we do, we really have no clue. We only seem them through the lens/music, but there's still the other mmmmmm 365 days a year that we don't see them, know what they're going through, etc.

[Who knew I would ever be writing about celebrity relationship? Is this really what I'm doing with my life?]

The other thing I realized tonight from seeing him at the Grammys - John Mayer is old. Not only does he look like a normal Johnny Depp, he just looks old. He's not the kid who wrote Bigger Than My Body/Something's Missing/Home Life (you can see my Heavier Squares bias. I like all his albums, in case you were wondering). I googled him - he's 33. I can't be one to judge, but I just hope in 10 years I'm not living like that. He's a 33 year old boy. I have no idea what he sings at his concerts (I've always really wanted to go - to see the music and maybe I could pick up some emotional girls who are in the set up by the concert, but I never went) but this is getting ridiculous if he's still talking about your body as a wonderland. How long can he keep writing about this stuff? (I'm just putting this sentence in because I'm realizing that this paragraph has way too many parenthesis/footnotes. I'm clearly insane.)

I'm not sure there's anyone else like him out there. I really like his music, and I think he's talented when it comes to songwriting. I think he's compulsive, and it's our fault for giving him the attention to create. The curse of celebrity. Either way, it's very fascinating.

Now if I spent this much time examining my own life?

No comments:

Post a Comment