Sunday, February 13, 2011

Real Estate Agents= Scum of the Universe

I'm in the middle of moving my life to NYC. It's been a long process, but it's (hopefully) coming to a close.

Why has it taken so long? Well the first 7 months are due to my career status, so I'll blame myself. But the last 2? It's because I'm being duped every weekend by real estate agents. I'll find their listing on their sites and it would say a building is something in my price range [which is low, but I'm trying to be as independent as possible on an entry level salary]. And then we see it and it's not in that price range, it's more like $500+ more.

Every time I ask the realtor why the price difference, they say "it just changed today." But it didn't. There was this one building that I had seen with one agent, and another agency had the same property (I knew based on the amenities) and it was still listed AT THE WRONG PRICE. I emailed and asked if that was the price, and *surprise* it was wrong! They just changed the price "today". I emailed back and said that they didn't, it changed at least a week ago, because I saw it and it was higher then. I then explicitly asked "why do you list the wrong price when you know the difference?"

That's the best, because you're flipping the tables on them, because you know their game and calling them out. The responses I've gotten are just hilarious. One was literally a smiley face. They squirm.

The other thing with these realtors is that they have no boundaries. Especially now because there are so many ways for them to contact you. I would give these people as little information as I could about me. I even lied about my name to one. I made the mistake of including my signature in my e-mail, which includes my phone number. Within the hour I had 3 missed calls from my new friend. Got some texts. There is no control. Needless to say, they did not get my business.

Realtors thrive off the bait and switch. Bait them in with a good deal, then give them the less good deal. How is this legal? How do we fix this? I'm not creative enough to come up with this solution right now, but this is outrageous. Seriously. How is anyone supposed to get anything done when all that's out there is bullshit? And to follow up with the bullshit, these pesky realtors won't stop bothering you once you give them your information.

Therefore I'm declaring real estate agents scum of the universe. Especially the NYC ones. I can't say I really know any other ones. Them and the bloodsucking lawyers that try to get as much money as possible. They're an unfortunate necessary evil because you have to find an apartment some how, but they need to be regulated. I don't want to deal with them every 12-18 months for the next 8 years. So brutal.

Also another note - how is anyone with a typical "business" job working 9-5 (but no one in NYC works 9-5 it's more like 9-6 and usually more like 9-9) supposed to see any apartments during the week? If you're looking at a "luxury building" the leasing offices close at 5. Limits you to only weekends to get your act together. It's hard to get anything done, and getting an apartment is kind of important. Washing your clothes? Not necessary. Finding a home? Necessary.

It's also been an interesting 9 months or so since graduation. I've been employed for 3-4 of those months, but not in a row. And that's not counting the stint back in retail. It's hard being homeless and trying to figure out your life when you want to live it in another city. I'm very lucky to have this virtual job where I can work from wherever I have internet. I'm going to post more on that experience soon. But it's been a weird 9 months. I'm glad to get some sort of normalcy back - and can finally start living, instead of getting ready for living. And to get back in game shape. It's nauseating when I don't have any routine, everything just is a mess. So things are looking up. I'm starting to ramble, last time I checked this isn't my diary. Bye.

1 comment:

  1. I have read this blog have full information and full forex strategy on trade in the market.

    ReplyDelete