Monday, February 21, 2011

Live Music


I'm sure I'm not in the minority here, but I believe that live music is better than studio-recorded music. I personally appreciate a band who can play their music live better than it sounds in the studio, because there are too many groups who auto-tune or can't execute on a stage, and that ultimately is the core of music, being able to perform live. Or when a band plays their music differently than it's recorded, something unexpected, but better.

There's two key elements to a great show. The band playing well, but the second is out of their control; the crowd. Each show varies on the people who come to the show. The more passionate the fan base the better the show, without a doubt. My favorite moment of any show is when the band lets the fans sing the songs. It doesn't matter how big the arena is (or isn't), it provides a sense of unity and connection between the band and the fans. But sometimes the fans get the shaft if the crowd isn't savvy enough - which is truly sucks.

The only examples I can give are shows I've been to. The best ones? Bruce (obviously), Jimmy Buffet, Green Day, Dave, Blink, O.A.R. and Sum 41. Each band has a huge following (well, Sum 41 doesn't anymore, but I like to pretend it's still 2000). If you ever listen to any of their live albums, you can hear the fans singing. Time of Your Life, Thunder Road, Ants Marching, etc. These bands know how to work with the fans, and that makes me love them even more.

I don't want to say if a band sucks live that I'm going to bail on them, but they lose serious credibility. When I first saw Fall Out Boy (right after "Sugar We're Going Down" took over America) they were terrible. Patrick Stump couldn't hold a note. I think I had a better shot. They lost a lot of respect. I saw them again a year later and it was much much better. Redemption is possible. I still like Fall Out Boy from when they were cool. I've just grown up a little bit for them. [I say that, but I listen to Blink 182 everyday, so I didn't grow up too much].

The other great thing about these bands with such wide catelogues is that every night can be an entirely different song. Some of the newer bands play the same set night in and night out - they can't play anything else. The old guys - they could literally play whatever they want. They change the set list on the fly or take requests. Every night is different - making it more or less special than any other night. That's where the crowd comes in. Some bands responds to the positive reactions from the fans and play more than usual or an old favorite. It's a fantastic connection.

I've been talking about rock concerts, but I'm forgetting about rap shows. I'm split on them. Because they can be a toss up. There's only so many times that a rapper can fist pump or rock his hands or grab his crotch before I'm disinterested. And if they don't have a live band playing their songs, I really lose interest. Hearing the normal track in the background blows. Plus I also think most of the clientele of people at a rap concert might not be welcoming to me. I saw Kanye in Scranton, and it was cool, but it wasn't the best thing ever. And I love Kanye. I'm much more impressed by people who can play music and sing at the same time.

Another interesting dynamic: The indoor vs. outdoor concert. Obviously timing is everything, as having a show outside in the winter is ridiculous. Part of the outdoor summer concert is the whole situation. I'm a big advocate of tailgating before an event. Having a few beers, cooking some steaks, sitting out and enjoying the parking lot. It might be one of my favorite things about summer. I can't say which is truly better, because I think an arena brings everyone closer together, whereas the outdoor lawn show isn't as together, but much more relaxing, open air, etc. Of course, I saw Blink 182 in the pouring rain in Hershey, PA, and it might of been my favorite show I've ever been to [read: not the best. Bruce. Obviously.]. And yes, I tailgated at Hershey Park.

One thing I'm surprised with? How much more vocal the European fans are. I've never been to a show, but some bands have released live albums from their shows (plus I've bootlegged quite a few) and they sing along to the music, almost sounding like a separate instrument in the show. I know it sounds weird, and I can't find a YouTube video that truly justifies it, but believe me. I'm not crazy. [Quick comment: How weird is it that Europeans go see American shows, especially if they don't understand English.]

My point is, live music is awesome. Go see your favorite artist in concert. It's awesome. And if you really want your life to change, go see Jimmy Buffet in concert. I'm not kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment