Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Nomar Garciaparra, The Reason I Love Baseball


Today, Nomar Garciaparra announced his retirement from Major League Baseball. Not only that, he did it by signing a one-day contract and retiring with the Boston Red Sox. If you know me, you know that the Red Sox are my favorite team. While I'm not as flaming as I once was, they're still a huge part of my everyday life.



It's safe to say that Nomar, along with Pedro, are THE reason I'm a Red Sox fan. Although I grew up in Philadelphia, the Phillies were trash post the 1993 World Series team. I was only 5 when that happened, and I was not cognizant of what baseball was or how awesome it was. I think it is safe to say that the 1998 Home Run Chase brought me into the sport, and then watching the Red Sox in 1999 was the tipping point. It was the first time I had gone to a game outside of Philadelphia, and seeing Fenway was just a site to behold. Such a beautiful, majestic, historic ballpark. There was such a passion for their players that you didn't see in Philadelphia (except when Curt Schilling pitched. Hell, Scott Rolen didn't play on Scott Rolen day, and that was the day I turned my back on the Phillies.)

In the late 90's, baseball fans were given a revolution in the shortstop position: 3 great young shortstops: Alex Rodriguez of the Mariners, Derek Jeter of the Yankees, and Nomar Garciaparra of the Red Sox. They were called the holy grail. Fans would argue which was the best. Nomar at the time was clearly the best hitter, winning two batting titles. Nomar was the oldest (a year older than Jeter, two in front of A-Rod) so he a small learning curve ahead of his peers, but he was excellent. The fans adored him. Everyone had a #5 Jersey on. There wasn't much of a better place for someone with a Boston accent to root for a player who's first name ended in R. "Nomah!" He would give his all at every at bat (while adjusting his gloves after every pitch)

Of course, the marriage between the Red Sox and Nomar ended poorly, although that trade lead to the greatest comeback in postseason history, and the end of the 86 year championship drought. It sometimes seems strange to say that it wouldn't of happened without Nomar, but it feels true. Nomar was given a share of the championship and was awarded a ring by his teammates.

It was truly a great moment, and I feel sad that Nomar wasn't there to be a part of it. Honestly that may of been the happiest few weeks of my life, and still is. I can think of a few great days over the past six years, but not a period of time where I was that happy. I'm not sure if that speaks to how baseball-obsessed my life has become or how pathetic my life is, but I wouldn't take it any other way.

Now I'd like to share my two favorite Nomar moments:

1) June 21, 2003. Red Sox vs. Philadelphia. During the beginning of the Intramural league process, the Red Sox always came in for a weekend series against the Phillies. I typically attended all three games, wearing my Red Sox attire in full force (which at the time was really just a Nomar shirt and this one hat that I wore from 1999 until 2004 - the thing was gross after I was done with it) Anyways, in this game, although the Red Sox lost, Nomar went 6 for 6 - tying a club record. It was truly something special to witness. There are few games I remember before that, but that was one of the special ones. I remember sitting in the 600 level with my dad along the third base side at the old Veterans Stadium. Another great part of that game was watching Pedro pitch - always the most exciting pitcher in the game of that time.

2) The 1999 All Star Game. Obviously I couldn't attend the game because I was still in Philadelphia and wouldn't be able to afford a All Star ticket. Nomar didn't do anything special on the field, but it was Nomar as ambassador of Boston, carrying the torch of tradition as Ted Williams was strolled out onto the field, he talked to Nomar first. Red Sock to Red Sock. Unfortunately I cannot find an image to capture what I'm talking about, but it was so powerful to me. It showed how the game went beyond just playing. I know it sounds dumb - an 11 year old believing in such a thing, but I'm totally convinced.

Now, two of Nomar's more embarassing moments:

1) The Mia Hamm commercial where he says "Thanks Beautiful." Not that I'm not condoning expressing your gratitude for your loved one, but not like that. That was brutal. Mia Hamm was great for soccer. I'm sure she's helped Nomar's life alot, but, that ad was just too much.

2) The end of Nomar's career in Boston. July 1st, 2004.

It was almost like a fiction novel. The Holy Grail of shortstops were now together on one field, although A-Rod was now playing third for the Yankees, and Jeter at short, and Nomar at short for the Sox. Although Nomar had been hurt most of the time, the Yankees games were when players had to deal with their injury and play the game. Nomar didn't. He played on Saturday, the 30th, but not on Sunday. And meanwhile, Jeter ran into the stands to grab an out, sacrificing his body for his team and to make a play against his rival. It was like a metaphorical death of the grail. Nomar was no longer the premiere shortstop for the league. The torch had passed. It felt like he turned his back on the team and the fans. People couldn't understand why Nomar was so great, but they weren't totally sad to see him be traded either. It was the beginning of the end.

Nomar went on to be relatively insignificant the rest of his career, playing for the Cubs, Dodgers, and Athletics. His body had worn down too much to keep playing at short, so he would rotate between 1st, DH, and I'm pretty sure he played 3rd a few times. Regardless, that night marked the end of his career, and the rest of his time was just Nomar as a corpse. I still rooted for Nomar, and tried to see him play when he came into Philly.

So this marks the end of the Nomar journey, and it has been great. I've read books about the history of the Sox and Nomar had definitely defined his legacy with the team. I don't believe he was good enough to have his number retired, but he may go down as the best Red Sox shortstop. I hope he continues the great tradition of former Red Sox players helping out the young kids, as I'm sure he can be helpful towards their cause.

Thank you Nomar, for everything.

A few more Nomar links for those still curious:
Nomar through the Years

Top Five Numbers about Nomar

Press Conference Log

No comments:

Post a Comment