Wednesday, March 3, 2010

PleaseDontRobMe.Com

The past few weeks I've gotten messages from a few of my friends (and my mother) regarding the advent of PleaseRobMe.com - the site that tracks you're FourSquare check-ins. If you know me, you know that I'm pretty into FourSquare - I LOVE the potential it has and I think that it really is the next big thing - if people and companies can understand that it's more than just "letting people know where you are."

Anyways, the premise of PleaseRobMe.com is a live feed of when people check into places and therefore they aren't home. I'm not buying it. For several reasons. One, they only list the 15 latest updates. The chances of you being listed as one of the most recent 15 is low. Last I checked, FourSquare has about 275,000 members. So 15 in 275,000. L-O-W. If you stay on the feed you'll get everyone's updates eventually.

So even if you were to come up on the feed, someone would have to be in your area, and then have to know where you live. The chances of all that adding up seems too low for me. The only people who could rob you would be your friends, and they still have to get into your building (pending apartment) and then into your room. It doesn't seem very logical.

I'm personally not concerned about it. I think it's meant to scare people. People like to panic. For some, it has caused that panic. For the people that understand and can utilize the technology, it's nothing more than another website that will fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment