Tuesday, May 18, 2010

College

What a strange four years it's been. I came in as a young, relatively shy 18 year old, where my only real hobbies included eating cheesesteaks/cheesecakes, sports, and playing video games, and I left with those still hobbies in mind, but have developed so much more interests and abilities. I'm not sure if that is due to college, or life experiences, or just growing up, but it's great.

College is an unusual life journey. It's when you supposedly grow up and realize what you want to do. I don't think I've reached that point yet. I'm not sure you ever do. You're supposed to keep evolving, learning, and growing.

But damn, what's a fun four years I've had. From a small dorm in Rich Hall to a lovely (cough) apartment in South Campus, I've kept the same few best friends the entire journey - and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Sure, I've made a few other really good friends (including being adopted - AYO T & C), other random acquaintances, some ups and downs, and some people I'm sure I'll never want to see again.

It's funny looking at things through pictures - how we've grown, how we've stayed the same. Sure, I have the memories in my head of what we did, but not the photo evidence. It's crazy to go through them year by year. Real quick so you understand what I'm saying:
Frosh Year

Sophomore Year

Junior Year (yes we were legal drinking age)
And finishing it out where it began at graduation.

It's been great. You'll notice most of the same people in the pictures - I love it. Sure, I couldn't find one that had all of my friends, but I think it captures enough of our friendship over the past four years.

Last night was my first night back home, and it was brutal (although there was an unbelievable 24 on.) It's not easy going from the freedom to the unknown. No jobs, no real idea of what the future holds, and being so far away from your friends, with no idea when you'll see them again.

I do know that college has made me into a better person. It's a great feeling when at the end of four years, you can come away with a solid group of friends (with the most supportive parents for people they've never met,) knowledge and skills to succeed in a professional level, and just the overall confidence to believe in myself.

I don't attribute that to Boston University, because as I've made clear, I think they have some dysfunctional aspects of their own to deal with, but I do believe a few professors and most importantly the people I've interacted with on a near-daily basis have really helped to shape everything about me - and I'm forever grateful. The only thing that could of made it better would be to get a job - but that will come with time.

The best four years of your life. I just hope the next couple decades can match them.

2 comments:

  1. couldnt throw in a family picture eh? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got a shout out T! nobody else gets their name mentioned haha.

    ReplyDelete