Monday, May 3, 2010

Planning Out My Summer Concert Schedule

The other day one of my buddies from home asked me about what summer concerts we were attending. And the continuing trend in my life is I have no idea what I'm doing this summer. Where I'll be. What I'll be doing. Who I'll be with. The worst was that I realized I really can't schedule any concerts. What if I end up in NYC? I can't keep commuting down to Philly to go with my buddies. But summer concerts are so much a part of my summer - the tailgating, the grass, just relaxing and enjoying the music. Then go to the beach. Ugh. Do I have to get a job?

So anyway, I'm going to pretend that I'm home in Philly and have some serious dough to play around with. Because BU gave us 18 days between class and graduation and this is much more fun than job applications or panic attacks (or boiling water.)

Bon Jovi - Hersheypark Stadium. May 19.

I debated on this one. I don't know many Bon Jovi songs at all. I just feel like it would be an experience to see "Livin on a Prayer" live. I also believe there's a lot of people that literally BLEED Bon Jovi. I don't know if I could handle it. I do love the Hersheypark Stadium though, and it's always a nice 2 hour drive over there. The 2 hour drive home after the show is not as nice. Acoustics aren't great, but I saw Bruce and Blink there and had a great time at both. And Blink was in Katrina-type rain.

Conan O'Brien - Borgata. May 30.

This one's not a concert. Sue me. It would be awesome. I bet that's Memorial Day Weekend, so I would probably be down the shore anyway, so why not see my favorite comedian in a show that's getting pretty good reviews. I bet he's hysterical with the cameras turned off and he can say and do whatever he likes. Could be great.

Dave Matthews Band - Susquehanna Bank Center. June 30 & July 1.

Another one I debated with. Dave's been that like "typical summer concert" that everyone goes to. I would at least tailgate Dave a lot. With or without tickets. It's probably been 6 or 7 years. Sometimes I think I should grow up, but I think I have. It's not about getting away from parents to hang out with kids like it used to be. Now it's enjoying friends and music. So Dave's an iffy, but I'm gonna have so much money from the lottery that it'll work.

u2 - Lincoln Financial Field. July 12.

I saw this show live on YouTube. It was nuts. I'm not huge on U2, but I think the show would be absolutely excellent. Plus in a venue like the Linc, how could you go wrong? I have a feeling this could be like a Bon Jovi scenario, where there's alot of U2 lovers then me, but I can deal. I feel like U2 is one of those bands every rock music fan should see. At some point anyway. And no, they're not the greatest band on the planet.

O.A.R. - Festival Pier. July 24.

No brainer. I love O.A.R. Had a great time at every show I've been to with them - I'm only really mad I didn't spend New Years at their show in Atlantic City. Setlist was amazing. These guys are great.

John Mayer - Susquehanna Bank Center. July 30.

Is it wrong that I want to go? I saw his VH1 Storytellers and it was awesome. I would probably be one of the few guys there. Maybe after I get all this money to afford these shows I'll get a girlfriend I could take. That sounds like a nice date right? But then she would leave me for John Mayer. So maybe not.

Green Day - Susquehanna Bank Center. August 3.

I don't think they work at a grass, open air venue. They need to be inside an arena. Regardless, I screwed up last year in not seeing them at the Spectrum and need to go again. When you hear "Time of Your Life" live, your life will never be the same. Say what you want about Green Day, I still really enjoy them. In fact I like their stuff post-2000 than the stuff that made Green Day into superstars. They've grown up, they're storytellers, and they're unique. The concept of them making American Idiot into a Broadway musical is fantastic, and I bet the show is cool for those who understand it.

Jimmy Buffett - Susquehanna Bank Center. August 7 & 10.

If you know me, you know nothing says Summer tunes like Jimmy. It's kind of strange. I could work out at the gym listening to "Margaritaville." I don't think many people can say that. Anyways, I've been to a few of his shows and they're always ridiculously fun. The best part is that Jimmy is the Dave of the previous generation. So there's a lot of old - really old - people there who are so drunk they can't sing - or even stand - right. The tailgating scene is unbelieveable. People go all out with the Island theme and it's beautiful. If I could live in the parking lot, ugh. I'm getting emotional.

So that's the eight shows I want to go to. If I'm paying $50 a pop, that's only $400. Plus another $300 for tailgating accessories, we're only talking $700. Not a big deal. Who's down?

No comments:

Post a Comment