Friday, January 22, 2010

Hope For Haiti or Hollywood is Full of It?

Help me Help Haiti. With a drink in my hand

Tonight is the big George Clooney and Friends "Save Haiti from falling off the face of the earth" telethon extravaganza. It's going to be on about every channel. The same show across the country.

Before I keep writing I should mention that what's going on in Haiti is horrible. It's tragic that they are so poor to begin with and now can't help themselves.

So everyone's all upset. How can we help. Send a text message to Red Cross. Tweet something. Join a Facebook Group. The list goes on forever.

However I think that this Haiti telethon is garbage. It feels like more of a "well, it's going to look bad if we don't" type scenario. Not only to mention the day - Friday. Almost 10 days after the earthquake. What a great way to connect with most of the audience on a night when most people aren't home. The networks wouldn't want to bump American Idol, so it HAS to be Friday. God forbid the new Biggest Loser gets pushed to next week. No body watches TV on Friday anyway, that's why they have all the scrub shows on. This is supposedly what Hollywood can do to help. Orrrr they could actually go to Haiti and get hands on. It's not like they can't afford the trip.

The ONLY reason I would want to watch would be to see the Bruce Springsteen performance (obviously,) but I will be able to watch it on YouTube tomorrow or in 3 years. And that won't inspire me to donate anything to Haiti.

Celebrities think these things are good ideas in their head. Shaq suggested that Kobe and Lebron have a slam-dunk contest for Haiti. Kobe's smart though, and he realized that that wouldn't really raise much money, it would garner great ratings instead.

My point is, if people want to donate, they don't need celebrity guidance and suggestions. They can do it on their own. I don't need George Clooney or Brad Pitt telling me about the devastation. I watch the news. I read it. It's horrible. But don't waste time when there's better solutions.

On a side note, my favorite telethon moment of all time? Kanye's Katrina Moment. Hands-down. I still laugh so hard it hurts.

Good Luck Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment