Thursday, January 14, 2010

Technology is Leading to the Destruction of Network Programming

I had a revelation at the gym today. 2010 is going to be the end of two (but probably four) of my favorite shows. Lost and Nip/Tuck are in their final seasons. 24 is rumored to end after this season because it's becoming too costly (and seriously, how many more bad days can Jack Bauer have?) On top of that, it's becoming more and more likely that Conan's run on NBC is going to end shortly.

While I assume Conan will be back on television in some capacity. The others will not. This will leave a huge hole in my regular television programs. I'm not sure what to do. I think it's become a state of television programing that I mentioned in a previous post. Companies are trying to save money, so they produce cheaper programs. Typically, it's the reality, game-show, or talk-show instead of a more costly-scripted show. Or a spin-off of a highly successful show (something ridiculous too, like CSI: North Dakota)

This is saddening, as the networks read success of shows in very literal terms of ratings and how much advertising revenue they can generate from these ratings. In today's age with video easily accessible on demand through various different outlets, ratings from when the show aired aren't reliable. For example, I don't get to watch Conan every night, but I'll try to watch it on Hulu everyday. Honestly I prefer the shorter format. 30 second commercials vs 3 minutes. I can watch when I want. It makes watching it when it airs not important. Technology has allowed for shows to be on demand. Legal or Illegal, it cannot be stopped.

Because of these technological advancements, the viewer is taking away network's primary source of revenue. I believe this is going to lead to less quality programming in favor of more cost-effective shows, which leads to the viewer most likely being less entertained. We can all enjoy some reality shows, but not ALL the time.

I'm not sure what the appropriate solution is here, because I don't see any stopping the Internet/DVR/TiVo phenomenon. It's just something to be aware of. Our forms of entertainment are evolving. The only shows that will get green-lit will be surefire hits. Shows that don't have great ratings, even with critical success don't keep airing. (I keep using the Southland example - I really should watch before I continue to use it.)

I think our best hope relies with Premium Cable networks, like HBO, who typically script higher quality programs than others. The Wire is widely considered by many (including myself) to be the greatest show of all time. It did not receive high ratings or garner much support from awards shows. However HBO stuck with the show and let it ride out its full five seasons, and everyone who has viewed it is thankful for that.

In the meantime, I plan on enjoying what's left of my favorite shows, and hope the entertainment industry can figure out how to make more quality shows, while finding a source of income.

No comments:

Post a Comment