Monday, January 25, 2010

The NFL Needs A Different Overtime System

"I didn't know you could tie in the NFL" - Donovan McNabb

Yesterday featured one and a half exciting games, with the NFC clearly being the bigger of the two. The game went into overtime because they were so evenly matched up. It was a great game until it went into overtime, where me and my buddies knew the winner based on the coin toss. It's not always a slam dunk though for who get's possession first is the winner (I.E. Tim Hasselbeck) but it's something like 80% of the time.

I don't claim to be a expert on what's fair. I do KNOW however that the NFL OT scheme is not fair. Sudden death seems to make sense because that's how it works in hockey (playoffs at least) and has a similar concept in baseball. Basketball doesn't have sudden death and that's fine. Ties are not acceptable ever. Who likes ties? You watch 75 minutes of football to have no decision? Awful.

In the NFL though, it's too easy to kick a field goal. Although this playoffs has had many bad kickers, it's still relatively easy. Get to the 30 yard line, move the ball to the middle on the next down, kick it, game over. Too simple. To be based on just a coin flip, it's sad that games are determined by such a simple means.

It's easy to say "switch to the college system" but the NCAA rules are more like a video game than reality - starting at the opposing team's 25 and ping-ponging back and forth. I thought about taking that system and tweaking it. Instead of starting at the 25, teams kick off. So in yesterday's example, the Saints get the ball and score a FG. They then kick off. If the Vikings score a FG, we do it again. If they score a TD, they win. No time limits. No ties. Nobody likes ties.

I read a great article (I think it was from Bill Simmons of ESPN, but I can't be sure) that suggested an auction system for who gets the ball first. Basically, the concept is that instead of a coin flip, the teams have a "silent auction" for what yard line they are willing to take the ball from. Whichever is closer to their own end zone gets possession. This is a big risk but an exciting format for teams and fans - you want the ball, but at what cost? Will you accept it at your 15, knowing that if you go 3 and out the other team will get the ball at roughly the 50? I thought at first it sounded cheese but after yesterday's event I believe it would work - and well too.

I'm not saying these two options are the best, but I believe they would be well-received and are definitely an improvement on what we have now, which is cheesy and stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment