Monday, January 11, 2010

What the Hell is Wrong with NBC???

This might be my longest post yet, because the nature of the topic is so complicated. Consider yourself warned.


As of last night, NBC officially canceled The Jay Leno Show, what can only be described as a failed experiment with the best of intentions. They averaged 5 million viewers a night and saved a decent amount of money. Affiliates were complaining about a drop in their local news programs following Leno. I don't really understand how this happens. If anything, I'd rather watch Leno than typical NBC programming (ER (RIP), Law & Order, Biggest Loser, etc). In Philly, I really like the local NBC news broadcast, mainly because my neighbor used to run the station and I met several of the staff. I think overall I enjoy how NBC does it's broadcasts, especially in their News division. Lately though, they have been boneheads.

This all started five years ago, when NBC announced that Leno would move off of The Tonight Show and install Conan O'Brien, who had been waiting in the wings for almost 12 years. Then it got closer and closer to game time, and NBC was having second thoughts. Leno could go to Fox or ABC and take his fan base with him and away from NBC, who had the highest rated late-night shows. I get that issue, NBC doesn't want to lose it's highest rated comedian to another network. So why would they announce this plan five years ago? They clearly didn't think things through and started getting scared about the possible outcome.

Then came the revolutionary news. Leno would still have his show but at 10P.M, cutting their typical 10P.M. programming in favor of a five-night comedy talk show. It would save money on scirpted shows, but also was a huge change from the norm. It was a risk. NBC didn't expect the show to provide huge ratings - it just expected to save money. In the meantime, it had to cut a show that critics were raving about (Southland - which I really am interested in seeing) in favor of keeping Leno. Southland was picked up by TNT and the second season will be played Tuesday at 10 (conveniently where it would be on NBC, and also against the show that replaced it (Leno) show on NBC.)

So Leno didn't work out because affiliates were losing ratings in their local news shows at 11. I've expressed how this doesn't make sense to me. Are people so lazy that they will watch The Bachelor and not change the station after for the news? Is this serious? The only other guess that I could make would be that people watching The Bachelor or whatever programming would see the promo for the news (something ridiculous like "How to lose 100 pounds in 2 hours") and stick around to see that one story. Outside of this hypothesis, I'm really baffled. If I have one favorite local news broadcast, I can change the station. Maybe this shows how littler favoritism viewers have, because they will see the same news no matter what. It's possible the reflection of lower news ratings is due to the stream of information over the internet.

Now back to what NBC is doing now. The proposed plan is to have Leno for a half hour at 11:35, Conan have Tonight at 12:05, and Jimmy Fallon starts at 1:05. Conan is the one who gets screwed in this process. After being promised just five years for his dream job, he moved his family and entire staff from New York to Los Angeles to do the show. Conan was going to be NBC's lead comedian. No more Leno. And after a little over half a year, he is being told he has to be behind Leno, again. Technically he still hosts The Tonight Show, but isn't The Tonight Show supposed to start after the news? So it's not the same at all. Conan is getting taken away what was promised to him.

Before I keep continue, I should say that I have always enjoyed Conan. I don't know when I started watching, but he was always the highlight of my pre-driving Friday nights when I could stay up that late. Leno doesn't do anything for me. He's a clown with a big chin and a strange voice. I don't think Conan can succeed doing the same stuff an hour earlier. In many ways the show has changed from its Late Night time frame, but the core is still the same. Conan attracts the younger viewers - people like me. Leno attracted many older viewers who can't handle Conan's random behavior and cruder jokes.

I understand why ratings-wise he was not succeeding as well. I still enjoy him. I think he was funnier on Late Night because he could get away with more things at a later time slot. I think he can do the more raunchy material if he goes to 12:05. It's a matter of principle however. NBC made a commitment and are going back on it. I'm not sure why Leno isn't the expendable one here. Maybe give him a half hour show once a week during Primetime. It's not like NBC has really good shows outside of Thursday night (and maybe Heroes.) That way he can be funnier and work less. I'm sure there is a better solution.

Conan should want to leave NBC and go to Fox. I'm just not sure that's the best solution for him. Being at 11 is an even earlier position with potential for worse ratings, and being outside of the "Big-3" could allow for him to disappear. Does anyone really watch Fox for anything other than Idol? (and 24) Unfortunately, I think Conan's best interest is to stick with NBC and accept taking a later time slot. If I were him I would keep making jokes at NBC and ripping them apart. Do more racy material, bring back the masturbating bear, bring some of Late Night to Tonight.

The one other confusing issue is how does this affect the ratings? Letterman's competition gets cut in half. Same for Craig Fergueson. Fallon gets a half hour to himself in what can only be described as infomercial limbo (also known as the only place you can find Carson Daly on TV anymore - who I assume is getting axed). I never know what or when Kimmel comes on. Does anyone watch Kimmel?

There is no right solution. NBC has really dug themselves in a hole. They seem to enjoy digging themselves deeper. Maybe this will work out. Either way, Conan still got screwed. Fallon, who isn't as important to NBC and they never made any promises, is also getting the raw end of the stick. And this explains the Comcast buyout of NBC - the beginning of the end of national-wide broadcast stations.

UPDATE - 01.13.2010 - As of yesterday Conan released a statement said that he will not do Tonight after Leno, because it loses it's original identity if it's not at 11:35. He said he has no offers. This makes another even more interesting point I didn't mention. What if Conan leaves? What happens to The Tonight Show? Does Leno take over (again?) NBC is really screwing itself. Speaking of ratings, this transition can't help NBC at all. More people will flock to Letterman faster than a peacock.

In the meantime, I think Conan's frustrating his anger into GREAT comedy. Here's a link to last night's episode. I think it's one of his funniest Tonight Show's yet. When a comedian is actually invested in the jokes, it makes for better humor. It's surprising NBC allows for him to rant and joke so much about his job, but I have really enjoyed it. I really hope NBC gets it's head out of it's rear and gives Conan the job they promised him.

No comments:

Post a Comment