Monday, January 18, 2010

I Hate Jay Leno, NBC, and Capitalism


Over the weekend, Conan was officially terminated from his position on The Tonight Show in favor of bringing back Jay Leno. I know I ranted about this before, but this is too big to not keep talking about. This is most likely going to be a reiteration of my previous post. So if you read it, you can skip it. You're welcome.

There's just so many things about this whole issue that bother me, it's hard for me to focus on one at a time. Here's my first though - Jay Leno.

Leno hosted The Tonight Show for 17 years. 22 if you count being Carson's regular substitute. That's a LONG time. He accepted that he would step down in 2009 to make way for Conan. So why is he letting this happen? Why can't he just ride off into the sunset? I understand NBC's concerns of him stealing his audience to another network. That should of been in Leno's contract that he wouldn't jump to another network. Leno's near 60 - how well do you think he can connect with his audience? (Of course my favorite 60 year old, Bruce Springsteen, connects with my 22 year old self daily - but that's an entirely different level)

My point is, Leno should do something else. He had his time. He agreed to step down. It's the honorable thing to do. Go produce a show. Write a book. Star in a movie. Ride your bike across the country. Enjoy yourself.

Next up - NBC. They committed to Conan in 2009. They made a whole new set. Promotions out the ying-yang. So how can they 7 months later think about moving The Tonight Show to 12:05. The original late-night TV franchise. The one that started it all. It always started after your local news. To move the show is blasphemy. Obviously I wasn't around when the show started, but I believe in tradition. You don't see network national news being moved to 6 or 7.

So whatever, they went against their word. They picked Leno to be the 11:35 guy. But the way they went back on Conan, including NBC Sports Director Dick Ebersol calling Conan "gutless" and "chicken-hearted" for his jokes towards the network, is unprofessional. Why isn't this jerk off fired? The Olympics are going to lose near $200 million for NBC. Maybe he should be more concerned about his department making money than what the late night programming is doing.

Okay so clearly that comment got me fired up a bit. It's just unbelievable. What did they expect Conan to do? You piss someone off and give them an outlet to vent their frustration, of course they take advantage. You say crude things, you're going to get them right back. Conan's voice is just much louder than NBC execs - because they gave it to him.

My other question is what exactly is NBC planning for the future? Leno's almost 60. How long is he planning on doing this? 10 years max? Then who's hosting The Tonight Show? Jimmy Fallon? Some no name? Dane Cook? Jon Stewart? Good work NBC, you really have a good business plan. I wonder why you're 4th in ratings. Bravo. Good luck picking up males 18-35 for Leno. In Conan they had a set plan for at least 20 years. Good. Job.

Even if Leno was at 11:35 and Conan at 12:05, Then what happens when Leno retires, move Conan back to 11:35? Good for Conan for standing up and not taking NBC's BS and treating Leno like the second coming. I wouldn't take it either. He may be out of a job and may not have some options for a while, but he's keeping his pride and his manhood intact.

My point is - is Leno SO important to the network that they are willing to cut Conan. Clearly he is. I just don't see it. It angers me beyond belief. I don't think I'll watch Leno, mainly because I don't find him funny. But also just to protest NBC. I hate it. It's not okay.

I'm with CoCo.

No comments:

Post a Comment