Sunday, January 17, 2010

MTV's Jersey Shore is NOT My Jersey Shore


On MTV today was a marathon of their unbelievably successful Jersey Shore show. This meant that I struggled to accomplish anything. However a friend of mine the other day asked me about The New Jersey Shore, and I told her it wasn't the show. At least my version isn't.

Jersey's got the reputation. Dirty Jerz. It's really whatever you want to call it, but there's rarely ever any positive connotations. I'm in South Jersey/Cherry Hill a decent amount when I'm home, and it's a decent enough area. The shore though is a totally different animal.

When you're from Philadelphia, your typical concept of the Shore is anything south of Atlantic City. Sometimes you go to LBI. Most of the time, I would be in Ocean City, the island south of AC. It's very vacation friendly, although a little too family-friendly - it's an entirely dry island. This isn't too big of a deal, as alcohol is readily available across the bridge. Ocean City's home of Mack and Manco, the best pizza I've ever had. It's been listed by Philadelphia Magazine as best pizza multiple times.


The past few years though I've ventured further south to Stone Harbor, which is much more relaxed of a shore town. It features really only one street of shops and restaurants, and everything else is just a residential area. Very nice and really just a fun quiet shore town.



My point is, what you see on Jersey Shore isn't the only thing about NJ. In fact, the people on the show aren't even from Jersey. I've never been to Seaside, but I've always been told it was scummy and trashy (hence what you see on TV.) To me, the Jersey Shore is a great summer vacation spot. Sometimes a bit overcrowded, but a spot I always enjoy my time there. I don't think of it as trashy or Guido city. It's a great summer spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment