Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Love Chickie's and Pete's

Chickie's and Pete's has become a staple of Philadelphia food. Typically, when people ask me about Philadelphia, it's always about the cheesesteaks. Some people know about Tastykakes. Yet over the past 33 years, Chickie's has established itself as the premiere sports bar in Philadelphia, with their crab fries becoming as synonymous with Philly as cheesesteaks.

In high school, I typically went to the South Philly Chickie's with my friends a couple nights a month. My mom even got me a Chickie's gift card for the holiday. This break, I've spent two of the past three nights at Chickie's, and the place is always full of people. It's such a great atmosphere. Even when there is no sports games on, you always have a good time there. But during any game (especially an Eagles game) it is like a huge family dinner. Everyone cheers and boos together. The experience is almost as good as being at the game.

But then there is the food. Sure, there is the crab fries. The buffalo cutlets are superb. Yet it's not just typical bar food. It's also got great seafood options. This usually isn't the route me and my buddies take, but tonight we got the crabs and lobsters. Delicious. I'm a pretty boring eater, and seafood is one of the last things I choose to eat, but I couldn't tell you when I had seafood this good. It makes me inclined to get it again.

Still, the crab fries. I keep coming back to them. They are so good. The concept isn't new, but they have perfected the art of the fries. Chickie's has opened restaurants in the greater Philadelphia area, including Philly International Airport, and also has kiosks at all of the ballparks. Their lines are always the biggest at the stadiums as well. Good luck getting crab fries in less than one inning. People can't get enough of it. It's the new Philadelphia tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment