Wednesday, January 27, 2010

LOST - MORE THINGS I DON'T KNOW BUT I REALLY WANT TO

This is part 2 of a 2,000 part series on more things I need to know about Lost. After watching the Season 5 Finale again last night on ABC, it brought up new things that I am just so confused about.

I'll give a disclaimer now, if you don't like Lost and don't want to hear me question the universe, stop reading now. Go read something more interesting.

QUESTION 45) Where is DHARMA post-Purge?

This builds off my last point in my previous Lost post regarding The Swan site/The Button. In Season 3 we learn that Ben and the Others lead "The Purge" and killed/removed DHARMA from the Island. But then what happened to the Ann Arbor team? Someone HAD to have known what happened on the Island regarding the "Incident" (pending we find out what exactly the incident is - the effects of Juliet potentially detonating the bomb) so why wouldn't they have sent someone to keep pushing the button to prevent "the end of the world." Even if the University of Michigan were to drop the project, they would still owe it to continue to clean up the mess they made.

So maybe I'm taking to far/literal there including UMich. Next point.

QUESTION 92) Eloise Hawking
Things we know: Her and Charles Widmore were leaders on the Island. They gave birth to Daniel Faraday. At some point, she leaves to Island to raise Daniel, alone, without Widmore. She did not leave with him.

Things we don't know: How does she know about The Lamp Post station? How does she know that Desmond will need to push the button before he's even on the island (based off the S3 Episode "Flashes Before Your Eyes")? How does she even know about the button?

Eloise MUST be free from time in a similar way that Desmond is. She must be able to see things previously and in the future. How did this happen? Was this a result of the incident (that again may be changing pending Jughead's detonation)? She KNEW in 1990s that by sending Faraday (PS WHY IS HIS LAST NAME FARADAY AND NOT HAWKING) that she will kill him in the 1970s. BUT HOW.

Eloise also mentions the end of the world/war coming post-button. How does she know about this if she is not even on the Island? Is this about Ben and Charles or Jacob and The Man in Black (as ABC called him last night.)

Another point related to but not directly towards Eloise - How did the 1954 US Army turn from the Army to the Others. This builds somewhat off of the Richard Alpert questions earlier. How can he be the "leader" of the Army? He's clearly been on the island for a while. Somehow the Army troops turned into the "Others" slash "Hostiles." My guess was that this was another coming of "them" that Jacob and the Man in Black spoke of. Some were on Jacob's List to stay, while others did not.

SOMETHING ELSE THAT JUST POPPED IN MY HEAD - The Lamp Post was a Dharma Station. Probably made post-1954. Given that idea, how did the US Army find the island and be able to bring Jughead & set up camp there? Did they just find it (maybe at the help of Jacob)? Remember, the picture of the island from 1954 was in the Lamp Post Station, so someone must have returned.

PS - I really love and hate this show. It causes me to think about so much of it, but then random thoughts like that entire last paragraph pop up in my head and causes me to change my mind/opinion/creates an entire new opinion. And that will only last until I form something new, or I find out a little bit of what is actually going on. A gift & a curse.

QUESTION #42) Time Travel - Why, How, and WHEN ?

Lost has reset the rules of time travel that at least in my head was set by movies like Back to the Future and probably some Star Trek or other time-traveling series. The thesis used to be: You can't interfere with anything in the past, because it will affect the future - potentially your future. Marty McFly almost disappeared completely.

Our only real guide to the time complex is Faraday.

It's strange because Faraday flip-flops his opinion. First it's "Whatever Happened, Happened" then it turns to "Variables" - like the Losties in 1977 - CAN alter the past. We still don't know what's right or wrong. Based on events like Ben being shot by Sayid but still living, it would almost make sense that Whatever Happened, Happened. The Variable concept is what most people are familiar with. Is it real though? What actually happens? Obviously we intend to find out in the premiere, but it still raises a lot of questions, like:

If Juliet's detonation works, do the Losties just jump back to 2004, erasing EVERYTHING that has happened? The writers have said that doesn't happen, at least to end the series. The first episode is called LAX though. Everyone is coming back in some capacity. Something happens. I could speculate for days, so I'll just stop now. At least this is one of the answers that I know I will be getting in less than a week. Partially anyway.

Don't worry, I'm sure I'll think of something else the minute I hit Publish Post. And I'll probably post it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment